December 2014

December 2014

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Always Remember

I remember growing up, listening to my mom talk about the walking on the moon event. She said "I remember exactly where I was when it happened".  I always thought that was so cool to be a part of such a huge moment in history, and hoped that I would someday have that.

Boy was I wrong to wish that..............

I was in my best friend, Michelle's, car.  We were on our way to class, I was a freshman at our local community college.  The radio was on, and I remember hearing something about the twin towers in NYC, something about maybe a bomb there.  I was so naive, I didn't even know what the twin towers were.  I got into my class, Sociology.  There was talk about what was going on.  We tried to turn the TV on in our room, but couldn't get it to work, so we went about our day in class.  We only had one class that day, so Michelle and I headed home.  I didn't even think much about what we heard earlier that morning, and don't even know if we heard anything on the radio about it.

Once I got home, I turned on the TV and it was EVERYWHERE!  It was awful, they were showing the footage of the plane hitting the tower, the city in utter chaos.  And then the first tower falling, and the second. I was glued to my tv, couldn't take my eyes off of it.  I called my mom, we had family in New Jersey, and I didn't know if any of them worked in the city.  Luckily, none of them did.

I was watching 60 minutes the other day, and they were talking about the Museum that would be opening next Spring.  One snippet of it really caught my attention.  No one under the age of 17 will have any memory of the events on 9/11.  Isn't that crazy?  I thank God that my kids won't have to witness something so horrific as that day, and I hope they never do.  But I will definitely tell them all about that day, a day of misery, a day of unknown, a day of seeing the heroism in complete strangers, and a unity for my country that I hope never goes away.

Yes, we will never forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment